Sunday, 25 May 2008

Circeo to Procida

We enjoyed our stay at Circeo. Without doubt it is another millionaires toy shop, filled with 50 foot plus motor boats. Somehow though the local restaurants and environment retain a charm. We ate here the best platter of mussels we have ever eaten.

We queued up to refuel at the small and crowded fuel jetty. There is only 1m of depth close in so we entered alongisde the pier bows-to. As we were waiting in norrow channel, manourevering for and aft to avoid the congestion, I noticed the temperature gauge heading relentlessly upwards. I realised that the whistleing alarm as we had reversed into the mooring as we arrived had not been just an anomaly as the engine shut down but a real problem. Help!. Our first engine scare and we were only one day into a thousand mile passage!

I checked the coolant header tank, which was bone dry. Was there a major problem , or had we just lost water slowly over the course of out thrash down from Triaino? I felt a fool that I had not checked the engine during the passage down. I consoled myself that on an unknown vessel, anything could go wrong and I could not constantly check every risk area. Nevertheless, I now meticulously checked every part of the boat. Further hours on the engine showed no sign of water loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment